The Federal Government of Nigeria, in partnership with the Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC), has made it mandatory for all Nigerians to link their NIN to their SIM cards. That is, everyone needs to know how to link NIN to MTN, as well as every other network.
According to the agreement reached with the Nigerian Communication Commission and Nigerian network operators, anyone who does not link their NIN to their SIM cards will be unable to make phone calls on the line. So, how can you link your NIN to your MTN number? Find out in this article.
In a few seconds, I will be showing you a step-by-step process on how to link NIN to MTN number in no time. We’ll be looking at the various ways you can use to link your number, as well as many other frequently asked questions concerning how to link NIN to MTN.
Related >>> How to Check MTN Data Balance with New USSD Code
How to Link NIN to MTN
Basically, there are four different ways you can use to link your NIN to your MTN number;
- Via USSD code
- Via SMS
- Online (MTN-NIM Portal)
- Via myMTN App
Now let’s go into each of these ways in details…
How to Link NIN to MTN via USSD Code
The first and easiest ways to link your NIN to MTN number is with the USSD code. For this operation, you don’t need data connection and can be done with any device. Here’s how to link NIN to MTN via USSD code;
- Open your phone’s dialer
- Press *785*Your NIN# and dial it on your MTN line (For example; *785*12345678910#)
- Follow the prompts and your number will be linked in no time
Note: This method is totally free of charge, and you don’t need an internet connection.
How to Link NIN to MTN via SMS
The next method on how to link NIN to MTN is through your SMS. This method is also very fast, and free of charge. Here’s how to go about it;
- Open your phone’s messaging app
- Create a new SMS
- In the recipient field, type 785 and in the message field, type “NIN-your 11 digit NIN” and send it. For example, type NIN-12345678910 as a text message, and send to 785.
- Wait a few seconds and you will receive a confirmation text message.
How to Link NIN to MTN Online (MTN-NIM Portal)
The MTN-NIM Portal is another way to link your NIN to your MTN number. For this operation, you will need a smartphone, or a laptop that has internet connection. Here’s how to link NIN to MTN on the MTN-NIM Portal;
Visit the MTN-NIM Portal
- You’d be provided with three options (Link NIN, NIN Enrollment, and SIM registration) click on “Link NIN”
- Fill in the required details (Phone number, Email address, and your NIN)
- After filling out the form, click “Next”
- After a few seconds, you will receive a confirmation text message.
How to Link NIN to MTN Via myMTN App
You can also link your NIN to MTN number using the myMTN App. This is how it’s been done;
- Download the myMTN App from your app store or click this link to download- (Android – iPhone)
- Sign in with your MTN number, and verify ownership with the code that will be sent to your number.
- On the dashboard, click on your profile and navigate where “Verify NIN” is
- Click on “Verify NIN” and provide the required details (Phone number, Email address, and your NIN)
- After filling out the details required, click on proceed and wait for a few seconds
- On the next page, you will see a successful notification, and you’re done
And that’s how to link NIN to MTN number in Nigeria.
Can I link more than one MTN sim to my NIN?
Yes. You can link up to 5 different MTN sim cards to one NIN number.
How do I link my NIN to my MTN SIM?
To link your NIN to your MTN sim card, simply press *785*Your NIN# and dial it on the MTN sim you want to link.
How much does it cost to link my NIN to MTN?
It is completely free of charge. Whether you are linking though USSD code or text message, you will not be charged any money for this operation as it is totally free.
Can I link my NIN to my MTN SIM online?
Yes. If you don’t want to make use of the USSD method or the SMS method, you can as well link NIN to your MTN number online via the MTN-NIM Portal.
Simply navigate the portal, click on “link NIN”, fill in the required details and proceed.
There you have it guys! You don’t need to panic about your sim card being blocked or restricted from making calls anymore. Just follow one of the method listed above, and link your NIN to your MTN sim cards.
It is also important to note that you can link up to 5 MTN numbers to your NIN, and it doesn’t take time at all. So to prevent your loved ones from being restricted from making or taking calls, you can as well link their MTN number to your NIN.
And that brings us to the conclusion on how to link NIN to MTN in Nigeria. Leave a comment if you found this article helpful, and don’t forget to share it with others that are in need of guidance also.